Sunday, June 15, 2008

Back to school

First, happy fathers day, dad. You have been a wonderful father for the past 23 years , and really liked your work in "Deliverance"

Last week was fun in Newport. I did some work on a nice 58' sailboat called Moonracer. It was a lot of cleaning and moving stuff around, but I also helped rig the two newly made sails. Sailors have a whole different specialized language. Occasionally the captain would tell me do things in sailor which, upon seeing the blank look upon my face, he would translate it into English. He would say phrases like, "take up that halyard line on the starboard side of the mast," "if you need the head, use the one in the port aft," and "Shiver me timbers! Thar be a whenchy sprog!" So I learned a lot this week. I learned how to look less confused when someone yells sailor at me.

On Wednesday after work, I went to hang out with Neikia and her friends at her pool in downtown Newport. She went out with for a friends birthday party, so I went out with her cousin and some of his friends. We started at his friend's house, but when the cops came by to complain about noise, we moved to his friend's house. The house was in Massachusetts, which is a completely different state from Rhode Island. In Rhode Island, you can go to a party in a different state and still make it back to the other side of the state in the same night. Don't worry parents, we had a sober driver.

For tomorrow, I have to wake up at 5:30 to make it to the sailing school to get the shuttle that goes to a firefighter training facility in Connecticut. That will be the first 2 days of the course. the rest takes place in a classroom in newport, except for saturday's portion, which takes place at a pool. On friday, Kenan and Allison's New Zealand friend , Matt Freeman, is having a solstice party fairly near where I live.

Other than that, Ive been going to the beach, playing some ultimate, riding my bike and enjoying summer.

No comments: