Friday, July 25, 2008

Wisco

After the Appalachian Trail, I came back to Newport with Alex and hung out here for 2 days before flying to Milwaukee. When I flew in, my cousin Chris picked my up at the airport and took me to meet up with my other cousins and sister's boyfriend Rob at a bar in Milwaukee. It was Chris' birthday and ended up being yet another a crazy night of barhopping in Wisconsin. Michael, who was evidently trying to out-celebrate Chris on his birthday and was doing so in the best way he knew how by spilling a large amount
of PBR on himself. Some of the highlights were singing an old German drinking song(Hoch soll sie leben = http://tinyurl.com/6dt34j ) at every bar that we went to, Michael trading the shirt off his back to a stranger on the street, brains everywhere, as well as other unmentionable activities.

In Oconomowoc, I spent the day with them at the farm before heading in to Madison to see all of the Hansen family, who had flown in from all over the country for my grandmother's memorial service. we went to Smokey's, my grandparents favorite steakhouse and checked into our hotel. The service was held at Our Lady Peace, a catholic church at which all of the Hansen kids had been members and the very one that my mother had driven a station wagon through fifty years ago. If anybody has a picture of that article, Id love to put it up. The ceremony was very nice, with many of the sons and daughters recalling all of the happy memories of her life. After, we drove up to Baraboo, Wi. to spend the day catching up on each other's lives, eating some delicious greek food and talking about string theory.

From there, we drove down to Mad-town, where my cousins Chris and Michael had spent the day hanging out with bums. We went to see a sweet bluegrass band for free at the Union, which is a huge student center next to a large lake. Check them out at http://www.myspace.com/trampledbyturtles

The rest of the night was perhaps crazier than the first and involved a brawl with bouncers that left Chris with a huge fat lip. Hopefully he has a picture of it. Both of these nights make for great stories, so ask me next time I see any of you.

The next night, I came back to Rhode Island, where I have had a good week. I have been to a couple of interviews with mixed results. One was for a crew agency called Crew Network that has offices all over the world and is quite good at what they do. they have already sent my resume to a couple of yachts. The other interview was for a 2 week charter aboard the M/Y Silver Seas. That captain was looking for someone with much more experience, so I am not sure why he even called me in for an interview after seeing my CV.

The weekend will be good weather. Newport in the Summer.
according to my uncle, this is what the strings of string theory look like. Actually, here he was describing how to make a negative pressure ping pong ball gun that can shoot through a coke can

No comments: