Monday, July 7, 2008

AT with AT

The 4th was great. On friday, we a bunch of us watched fireworks from a roof porch on Thames street. The best fireworks are the gold ones that make the deep, bassey boom at end of the show. You know those? Yeah, those, those are the best. The rest of the weekend was low key during the day. I did a bit more treasure hunting with my 2 roommates. I have been calling it "treasure hunting" when describing to people how I spent my day. It is more fun that it seems, I promise. There was one that was locked, so we had to get a key from another one to unlock it. See how cool?

Tomorrow I am going to be doing day work on a motor yacht on Goat Island. Should be a bunch of miscellaneous stuff. Then I am going to fill up my pack for a few days on the Appalachian Trail. Alex Tempka, a buddy of mine from high school, is thru-hiking the trail and is somewhere in New Hampshire right now. So on Wednesday, I am going to drive to a bus station in Boston to take a 5pm bus to Pinkham Notch, NH. I will camp there for the night and then catch the morning shuttle to Crawford Notch to meet Alex. We will hike up Mount Washington and continue on through the presidential range for a few days and will probably catch the bus back to Boston on Sunday or Monday. The weather is expected to be warm. In the past 5 months, I have hiked around 20 miles. Alex has hiked around 2000. Should be interesting. Mom, don't worry, I will be bringing a knife. You know, for bears. Here is a shot of the beast, Mount Washington.

Wikipedia says:

Mount Washington is the highest peak in the Northeastern United States at 6,288 ft (1,917 m). It is famous for its dangerously erratic weather, holding the record for the highest wind gust directly measured at the Earth's surface, at 231 mph (372 km/h) on the afternoon of April 12, 1934. It was known as Agiocochook, or "home of the Great Spirit", before European settlers arrived.[1]

No comments: