Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Can I see some ID?

Last night was my first night working as a doorman/bouncer at the IYAC bar in downtown Newport. It is a small sailor bar with only a pool table, a couple of tables and bar space. I got the job through Courtney, as she used to bartend here and knows the owners, managers and many of the regulars. The job is really easy; My job is to check IDs at the door and occasionally round up empty glasses and wash them out. At the end of the night, we put up chairs, take out the trash and sweep. The people are mostly all sailors who know each other and have been coming here for quite some time, so some of them looked a little offended when I asked for IDs. I am sure I will know who is who with in a couple of weeks. Here is a 2005 picture of the front of the IYAC on Thames street. It was the only one that I could find of the storefront. Maybe Courtney and Ian are in it?

This weekend is Folk Fest in Newport. This year, the headliners are The Black Crowes, Jimmy Buffett, Gillian Welch, Jakob Dylan, Stephen and Damian Marley and Calexico. It costs 60$ per day to watch it from the festival grounds, but as the stages are positioned facing the water, many people choose to get on a boat and hang out in newport harbor. My roommate has a an ocean kayak. We are going to get a wal-mart boat and paddle into the mayhem this weekend.
Other than that, I am still waiting to hear back about permanent positions aboard yachts. In a month or so, there will be a big change over period when most of the boats up here finish their New England charter seasons and begin to head south to stay with the warmer weather. So until then, I am enjoying my time here. Today I was supposed to get paid to go sailing, but as it is incredibly calm out, I'm going to do laundry and go snorkeling instead

No comments: