Saturday, August 30, 2008

Today is thursday and I have been on the boat for 4 days. Overall, I really like my situation here. I am the deckhand in a 6 person crew. The captain, Mike, is a really nice canadian guy in his mid- thirties. Then there is the first mate, also named mike, who I primarily work with in keeping the exterior of the boat clean and working. There are 2 stewardesses, Eda from Hungary and Ashley from Oklahoma, whose job it is to keep the inside of the boat clean and working. Lastly, Alex is the chef. He cooks several courses for every meal. So far I have learned that there are both good and bad parts in living on a yacht. Here they are:
Great Things:

I get hot meals for free every day, made from quality ingredients by a professional chef. If he does not cook for whatever reason, we go out to a nice restaurant with the boat credit card.
Rent is free.
I get to be outside all day every day. So far is has been warm and sunny. This may not always be the case.
the rest of the crew is pretty fun. I think that I can get along with anybody, but it would really suck to get stuck on a boat with crappy people.
We get to travel to where the weather is nice. We will be crusing around Nantucket this weekend and eventually head down to the huge boat show in Fort Lauderdale in October. Unless the boat gets sold.
Free Laundry
Free "Kaleen" clothes- T shirts, a fleece, a raincoat, some dryfit polos, some khaki pants
Mike and I have a shower attached to our room. The shower has an escape hatch. This means I can escape whenever I want.
I don't have to wear shoes ever



Not so great things:
I have a roommate, and we live in a room the size of a porta-potty. Its actually the size of a handicapped porta-potty, but that is still pretty small. My bed is the size of a casket.
Some asshat stole my flipflops off of the dock tuesday night. I left them in the shoe backet on the dock and someone snatched them. It is kind of a funny thing to steal from a $15 million boat.
The yachting community expects good hygiene. This is different from the collegiate and whitewater communities.
We usually start between eight and nine in the morning. This is much earlier than noon.

The boat itself is 130' long and weighs 290 tons. The boat holds 9700 gallons of diesel fuel and 1800 gallons of water. At a cruising speed of around 20 knots, it gets about 1/4 mpg. This means that our carbon footprint is roughly the size of New Hampshire.
I will put some pictures up on the blog once I get paid and can get a new camera.

Tomorrow, the guests will come aboard and we will cruise to Nantucket for a long weekend. I hope everyone is well.

1 comment:

Roberta said...

very cool blog....ill be heading down to Fort Lauderdale in a few days to get a job on a yacht!