Saturday, May 31, 2008

Driving up

The adventure that is life has begun, I suppose. Yesterday, I drove 11 hours to D.C. and met Noah. We took the metro to meet some of Noah's friends from a Salvadorian bakery and headed into the match. The crowd was as fanatical as I have ever seen aside, of course, from the Nation at Sanford Stadium. Flags and shrill whistles swirled around the bowl shaped stadium and the rhythmic drum beats induced a stompdance that undulated the entire upper deck of RKF stadium. The game was good and despite several great shots, it ended in a 0-0 draw. Afterward, We went out for beer at a Salvadorian restaurant for beer. I think the owner liked us. I wouldn't have guessed this at first as he wasn't a very smiley guy, but then he sent our table a round of tequila. Or maybe he didn't have tear ducts and was so happy to have seen his team play that he had to release his emotions somehow. So i guess we drank his tears. Salty, awful, then sour tasting tears.

In the morning, I left D.C. Though I had a great night there, I do not like the city as a whole. It is crowded, busy, not so pretty and as Geoff puts it, incredibly bright. Cities are stressful.

The drive to D.C. and the drive to Newport, from where I currently write, were long and uneventful. I listened to a book by Dave Barry, though not one of the goofy ones. This is a prequel or sequel to the original Peter Pan and is a fairly good book. "Pan and the Shadow Thiefs" or something.

When I drove into Newport, it was 8:00pm, 60 degrees and cloudy, so i couldn't see much from the bridge. i drove around town and then headed to Courtney and Ian's house. It is about seven miles from downtown and is in a nice neighborhood. I have a bed for a few days here. Tomorrow, im going to play pickup ultimate at a local park and then start looking around for potential housing. Courtney has mentioned me to a captain who is willing to find some day work for me to do. Also, she might be able to help me get a job at the bar that all the sailors go to. I like it here

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you're having fun so far- thanks for the shout out. Any big red idiots at the soccer game, or is that just reserved for old fat guys from Dawsonville?

Louis said...

haha, glad you liked the props. Apparently there are tons of latin americans in dc. the stadium was probably 80% full and everybody had big flags and chants. we were part of maybe a 1% white minority. the big red idiots are solely an SEC epidemic i believe.